Friday, September 08, 2006

Serenity, at last.

In just ten days, I will mourn my forty-ninth birthday. I know it is a sad and tiresome cliche to remark about how the years have flown by and, yet, how it seems that my childhood was only yesterday. However, both are true. I have squandered my life and, since I don't believe in the hearafter, my only chance in all of eternity to exist. I know I should be in a panic to get as much accomplished as I can in what little time I have left, (and, I don't really have that much time left). Yet, I almost welcome the end. For all intents and purposes, I have given up. I am simply existing and trying to maintain as much peace and tranquility as I can while enjoying the beauty around me and watching my mind slip rapidly away. To this end, I remain in a meaningless job as a night auditor in a motel, earning $7.25 an hour. I rent from my mother the back two rooms of the house in which I grew up. I seek to distance myself from a former best friend who has allowed his life to fall apart to a far worse degree than even I have done. I have lost another to suicide. And, I no longer entertain the dreams and fantasies of what I could do with my life. Instead, I live in the past and write a gay romantic soap opera for a web site on the Internet. I have a good following and it makes me angry at myself that, since I have discovered that I really do have a talent for writing, that I didn't apply myself to this career choice when I was a teenager instead of the stupid fantasy of politics. Oh, well. I cannot live in regret. I must try to be as serene and tranquil as I can and find peace during my last months or years. (I certainly hope this doesn't seem melodramatic; I am entirely sincere when I write these words).

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a fine writer; your growth and the development of your skill and art is obvious from your writings -- from Oddysey through Courage and Passion.

You've brought enjoyment to many.

Thank you from a grateful reader.

What's the URL of the web site with your soap opera?

SkinWalker said...

Dear ChrisThinker,

Well Done! Your storey Courage and Passion is great.

Thank you for sharing.

--Thole

Anonymous said...

Dear Chris,

I've just finalized reading of your "Centennial Park" (after a number of some other works from Yours). I'm just so overfilled with thoughts and emotions that I can't stop myself from writing few words about your works.
Excuse me my language, I'm Russian and far not perfect in this way. And I realize that I am late, 'cause you had written it all quite a time ago...
Anywhere...

This last novel I've read just turned my heart upside-down once again... I returned back to my young times enduring all this increadible pain, and fair and terror of being gay in this absolutely bigoted and intolerant environment of 70-s in Russia (it's still not much better).
My family was a worst eddition of Conrad's, as well as my consciousness was so terrorised that I had to fight with myself against being a gay up to middle 30-es...

Feelings and fair of your heros are so closed to mine that... it's more then just a pain. You are so SINCERE, so NATURAL and so LOVING in your art works! It's great (even painful)enjoiment to read, think and go through your stories.

Thousand thanks to You!!! God safe you and bless your ways and works!
And god bless and safe all suffering (of being gay or other issues) young people!

P.S. I am Sergey, 41 y.o., live in Moscow with my BF, having a son 12 y.o. E-mail: lonelyraven@mail.ru

End if there is any case I can help you with, please let me know. I would be happy to do something good to such a great-heart Man as you are.
And I wil proceed reading.

ricky said...

I think the entry of serenity above could have been written by my own hand. You are not alone my friend. Remember that when we were young coming out was not an option. It was considered a mental illness. Curable by shock therapy.
Now we look at ourselves in the mirror and our youth is gone. So we do what we can to live vicariously through our past and the fantasies of what we create in the mind that still finds those days the best we've had. Even after considering how bad it was.
So many times we look bad and ask ourselves, why we didn't end out pain when we were so close and tempted so many years back.
But the gift you have saves lives of young today. Its getting so much better out there, but they aren't free from the bigotry and ignorance of the parenting class just yet.
Keep doing what you do so well my friend. And the next time around it will be our turn. I promise.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I hope you are well and still writing, I've loved reading your stories, best wishes Justin

Unknown said...

Wonderful stories, thanks, justin

Unknown said...

Wonderful stories, thanks, justin